Report Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
Every employee is required to refrain from wrongdoing and unethical conduct which may fall into one or more of the following definitions:
- Fraud - Intentional wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain. Typically illegal (e.g. embezzlement or falsifying records).
- Waste - Using agency funds in a careless or extravagant manner or with no consideration of value or purpose. May be intentional or unintentional. Typically not illegal (e.g. providing iPads to employees who have no business need for them or renewing a lease on space that is no longer needed).
- Abuse - Intentional improper use of agency assets and time. Typically not illegal (e.g. intentional failure to turn in leave for time away from work or use of state vehicle for personal purpose).
- Mismanagement - Failure to observe laws, guidelines, regulations or agency policies in managing agency resources (financial, capital, human). May be intentional or unintentional (e.g. use federal funds for ineligible purpose or failure to correct known high risk deficiencies).
- Unethical Acts - Violations of the state ethics rules and agency ethics policy and code of conduct though no wrongdoing may have occurred. May be intentional or unintentional. (e.g. failure by bid reviewer to report a conflict of interest - for example, family member is employed by contractor submitting a bid).