Damage Claims

How do I file a claim against SCDOT?

(If the damage is to a vehicle, the claimant must be the registered owner, and a copy of the vehicle registration must be included.)

The South Carolina Tort Claims Act (Section 15-78-10) allows an individual to file a claim against the Agency.

An individual has one year from the date of occurrence to file a damage claim. Under the South Carolina Tort Claims Act, the Agency or its insurance carrier has 180 days after a claim is received to make a decision whether the claim is paid or denied.

Contact SCDOT's Customer Service Center for questions on filing a claim.