2040 Statewide Multimodal Transportation Plan
The South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT), in partnership with the South Carolina Department of Commerce, South Carolina State Ports Authority, Federal Highway Administration, Federal Transit Administration, and other key stakeholders have updated the South Carolina Multimodal Transportation Plan (MTP), "Charting a Course to 2040". The MTP is updated every 5 years to reflect the latest information on travel and growth trends, goals and objectives, infrastructure conditions, future deficiencies, and estimated funding. The MTP was adopted by the SCDOT Commission in December 2014.
The 2040 Multimodal Transportation Plan is comprised of several component plans that include the following:
- Executive Summary includes the vision, goals, objectives, and measures for the overall MTP, as well as analysis of transportation system needs and funding
- Interstate Plan includes the analysis of current congestion and forecast of future congestion
- Freight Plan (Amendment 1) includes inventory of infrastructure, condition, commodity flows, performance measures, identification of the Strategic Freight Network and the Freight Investment Summary
- Strategic Corridor Network Plan includes the network evaluation and identification methodology, analysis of current congestion and forecast of future congestion
- Rail Plan includes freight and passenger service, performance, trends, and needs
- Statewide Transit Plan includes review of existing service, trends, human service coordination, and needs
- Regional Public Transit and Human Health Service Coordination Plans for each of the state's ten regions and includes review of existing services, trends, human service coordination, and needs
- Appalachian Regional Transit Plan
- Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Regional Transit Plan
- Catawba Regional Transit Plan
- Central Midlands Regional Transit Plan
- Lowcountry Regional Transit Plan
- Lower Savannah Regional Transit Plan
- Pee Dee Regional Transit Plan
- Santee-Lynches Regional Transit Plan
- Upper Savannah Regional Transit Plan
- Waccamaw Regional Transit Plan
- The Statewide Strategic Safety Plan to identify emphasis areas and strategies aimed at eliminating highway fatalities and severe injuries. For more information on the Safety Plan visit the website: www.sctargetzeroplan.org
Quotes from our stakeholders
"This will be a new and integrated plan for transportation in South Carolina with an emphasis on commerce and safety. The plan will help us manage the transportation system we have and help us decide how to spend scarce resources to improve the system."
Secretary Bobby Hitt - South Carolina Department of Commerce
"Ship sizes are increasing, and increasing exports are helping to create a balance with imports at the port. While these trends are good for South Carolina, they put pressure on the transportation infrastructure, and this study will help us address that pressure."
Jack Ellenberg - Vice President, South Carolina State Ports Authority
"This is the first time I have seen this level of cooperation at the state agency level. FHWA looks forward to working with you in this partnership to document the performance of the transportation system, to focus on freight efficiency, and to take advantage of the funding flexibility contained in recent federal programs."
Bob Lee - South Carolina Division Administrator, Federal Highway Administration