Small Business Enterprise (SBE) Program
About the Program:
The South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT), Unified Certification Program has established a Small Business Enterprise (SBE) component as part of the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program, in accordance with the Code of Federal Regulations title 49, part 26. The purpose of this program is to encourage small business participation that will result in contracting opportunities in the transportation industry. Some of the contracting opportunities may include but are not limited to: public transit projects, maintenance projects, projects at airports and construction projects. The SBE Program will provide certified small businesses an avenue to maximize opportunities of doing business within the State of South Carolina.
Benefits of SBE Program:
Some of the benefits of the SBE Program may include, but are not limited to:
- A more competitive bidding environment
- Contracting opportunities identified specifically for SBE certified businesses
- Open to all eligible small businesses without regard to gender or race
Small businesses must meet the following requirements:
- The eligible owner (s) controls 100% of the firm. An "eligible owner" is an individual who meets the requirements of (b) and (c) below.
- Gross sales receipts of the firm do not exceed $7,500,000 annually averaged over the preceding three-year period.
- The eligible owner's personal net worth does not exceed $1.32 million.
- The eligible owner(s) is actively involved in the day-to-day management and control of the firm, as well as the delivery of its products and services.
- The firm is a bona fide existing business that performs work for the purpose of making a profit. A newly formed firm may be certified. Not-for-profit organizations are not eligible to be certified as SBEs.
- The firm is independent as indicated by the absence of control or influence of a non-SBE firm. The firm does not share personnel, facilities, equipment, financial or other resources with a non-SBE firm. The firm is not "affiliated" with a non-SBE firm as defined by Small Business Administration Regulations, 13 CFR part 121.
- The firm seeking SBE certification must cooperate fully with the Department's requests for information relevant to the certification process. Failure or refusal to provide such information may result in denial or removal of certification.
How to Apply for the SBE Certification:
Firms interested in applying for certification must submit a completed application and Certification Affidavit to the Office of Business Development & Special Programs. The Office of Business Development & Special Programs will review the completed application and notify the applicant in writing of its decision within ninety days. Applications are available below and on the SC Unified Certification Program page.
For additional information regarding the SBE Program you may contact:
Office of Business Development & Special Programs
South Carolina Department of Transportation
955 Park Street, STE 117
Columbia, South Carolina 29201
(803) 737-1372 - Phone
(803)737-2021 - Fax
SBE Application Packet Update (PDF 146 Kb)
SBE Application (PDF 966 Kb)
SBE Directory (PDF 653 Kb)
SBE Directory (XLSX 69.1 Kb)