23 USC 313 Buy America Guidelines for Utilities Compliance Requirements
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT), after reviewing the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP 21), Pub. L. 112-141, July 6, 2012 - Section 1518 - amending 23 U.S.C. 313 have concluded that utility companies with prior rights are required to ensure that items listed below are manufactured in the United States. The utility companies shall submit mill certification reports to be in compliance with this requirement. MAP 21 applies to SCDOT projects with Federal Funds.
- Aerial Utilities - The items required to comply are steel poles, steel lattice towers and concrete poles with reinforcing wire (unless it meets the minimal use, the greater of, 0.1% of the contract value or $2,500)
- Underground Utilities - The items required to comply are steel or ductile iron pipes, casings and steel values (unless the values meet the minimal use, the greater of, 0.1% of the contract value or $2500)
- All other items are considered miscellaneous steel and will not need to comply with the requirements.
- Further information and guidance is available at the FHWA Buy America Construction Program Guide Web Page located at http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/construction/cqit/buyam.cfm
- Should any of the above change the website will be updated accordingly.